Today’s Top Jobseeker Tips!
Today’s Tip: CV Presentation
In today’s market recruiters and companies are receiving countless CVs in application for positions. The average time a recruiter/employer spends scanning a CV is 20 seconds so it is key that your CV stands out from the crowd.
Here are some quick tips for you to follow to make your CV come to the fore:
• Length – 2 pages for a CV should be enough. You should focus on it being precise and clear
• Use bullet points for documenting your experience – this is much easier to read and will allow a recruiter to see your experience easily
• Don’t use unusual fonts, graphics, boxes or tables
• Be different – when describing your jobs/experience, use key achievements/projects that are specific to you. This will show what you can bring to a company
• Tweak your CV for specific jobs – you should adapt your CV for different jobs you apply for, highlighting more relevant information. Read the job spec of the position you are applying for and tailor accordingly using the correct terminology
• Make sure your CV is up to date and do so regularly
• Don’t “enhance” your experience – in interview you will be verbally backing up your CV so do not allow yourself to get caught out by bending the truth in your CV
• Layout is important – You should follow something along the lines of:
o Personal details: Name & Contact details
o Education & Qualification: Names of institutes attended, dates and qualifications
o Work Experience: This should include Position, Company, and dates you worked there. Immediately underneath you should include your experience in bullet point format
o Skills: Brief summary of job related equipment or computer skills
o Hobbies/Interests: Memberships of clubs/societies, personal achievements
Lastly the top tip we can give to someone is to check and double check your CV. Have someone else look through it and check over it also. There is nothing worse than a CV with spelling/grammar mistakes!